1/23/2011

The Bees 2010



I would say the first year was a semi-success although I think I might have had better luck brewing beer! We did order two nuc colonies each with a queen and 10,000 workers. I set them up in the back yard. The one on the right began looking more active pretty much from the first month or so, and it just went gang busters while the one on the left stayed fairly inactive. At some point the bees just disappeared. The bees on the right did great, though. They produced a decent amount of honey from just a few shallow supers. I think I might have stacked too many shallow supers, but I just didn't know how quickly to stack them and I didn't want the bees to get over crowded. As of right now, the bees are still alive through the winter, so I'm hoping they will hang in there until spring. I have also ordered two more colonies for a total of three.



No comments: